AFFCU Welcomes New President and CEO
The Board of Directors is pleased to announce the selection of Ryan Ross as AFFCU’s new President and CEO. Mr. Ross will succeed retiring CEO Bob Glenn, who has led the credit union for the past 14 years.
Mr. Ross has more than 12 years’ experience in the credit union industry, most recently serving as Executive Vice President/Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) at Pen Air Federal Credit Union in Pensacola, FL for the last six years. Prior to Pen Air FCU, he worked at SAFE Federal Credit Union in Sumter, SC at Shaw Air Force Base from 2008 until 2014. He has a deep understanding of serving both Air Force and Navy active duty, civil service, retirees and contractor memberships.
“We are excited to have Mr. Ross join our team at AFFCU” stated Col Sam Farace, USAF (Ret), Chairman of the Board. “His background and experience will be a valuable asset to our Credit Union. Under his leadership, he will continue the path to achieving AFFCU’s current and future strategic goals, while our members will continue to enjoy the open communication they have experienced in the past.”
Mr. Ross brings a wealth of experience from the industry and has overseen the management of all areas from lending operations (to include consumer, business, and mortgage lines), finance and accounting, as to collections and risk management. He has demonstrated strong leadership skills and a proven track record leading others in development and execution of corporate visions, strategies and goals. He has proven abilities to streamline business operations that drive growth, increase efficiency and service.
“I am honored to have been selected by the Board of Directors at AFFCU to serve as your next President/CEO. The credit union has done an outstanding job of serving their community, as well as their commitment in providing continued support services, and financial training to their military members and families. I look forward to staying committed to AFFCU’s mission, vision, and values as we continue to enhance our membership’s lives by being their financial solutions partner through Integrity, Service, and Excellence.”
Mr. Ross has a Bachelor of Arts from Saint Leo University—Saint Leo, FL and a Master’s of Business Administration from the University of South Carolina Aiken—Aiken, SC. He will be joined in San Antonio, TX by his wife, Lacey and daughter Olivia.
America Saves Goes Virtual
America Saves, a nonprofit with a mission to encourage Americans to save money, reduce debt, build wealth, and create better financial habits, has recently announced a series of virtual #ThinkLikeASaver Town Halls on Facebook. These events will cover topics like:
- Strategies to Help You Save – Thursday, Oct. 22, at 1 PM CST.
- How Do I Pay Off Debt – Thursday, Nov. 5, at 1 PM CST
- Saving for Major Life Milestones – Thursday, Nov. 19, 1 PM CST
You’ll hear from financial experts, influencers, and everyday people to share the best saving strategies. You can also join the #ThinkLikeASaver Facebook group where users share savings tips, reminders, and resources to help you stay on track.
Holiday Skip-A-Pay is Here
The holidays are just around the corner! This time of year is meant to be enjoyed with family and friends, and not stressing over the financial burdens of holiday spending. We have just the answer for you, AFFCU Holiday Skip-A-Pay.
Starting October 1, you may qualify to skip one or more of your eligible loan payments through the months of November, December, or January. Applying is quick and easy! Simply login to your CyberMAT Online Banking account and click on the ad to the right.
Get ready to have the cash you need to kick off your holiday shopping early. Leave the stress behind and apply today!
Click here to view a full list of Terms and Conditions
2021 Scholarship Application Now Available
AFFCU will be awarding four high school seniors each with a $5,000, non-renewable scholarship.
Eligible applicants must be a graduating high school senior and either a member or dependent of a member in good standing at AFFCU. They must meet admission requirements for an accredited two or four-year college, university, or vocational school, be a full-time student and maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA based on a 4.0 scale.
Students who attend high school in the San Antonio area can ask their school counselor for the Bexar County Scholarship Clearing House/Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation Scholarship Application. For those students who live outside the San Antonio area, or are unable to get the application from their school, visit GoAFFCU.com/scholarships to download and print the application.
But hurry, the deadline to apply is Friday, November 2, 2020
Add Some Jingle to your Pockets with a Holiday Loan
Are you in need of some cash this holiday season? Get everything on your holiday list with a holiday loan from AFFCU.
Loan perks include:
- Rates as low as 6.00% APR*
- Minimum loan amount $500
- Maximum loan amount $5,000
- Flexible terms up to 36 months depending on amount
Get the cash you need today and enjoy the holidays stress-free. Hurry, this promotion ends on December 31, 2020.
*APR = Annual Percentage Rate as of October 1, 2020 subject to change at any time. Estimated monthly payment per $500 borrowed at 6.00% APR for 12 months is $43.04. Loan is subject to credit approval. APR can vary based on creditworthiness and term of the loan. Loan is not eligible for a rate reduction. New money only. Membership eligibility required. Offer ends December 31, 2020.
The CARES Act and Your Student Loans
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act has and continues to provide much-needed assistance to Americans during the pandemic. The CARES Act temporary payment relief to borrowers with qualifying federal student loans has been extended until December 31, 2020. Here is what that means if you have a federal student loan:
- Some federal student loans do not qualify – for example, older Family Federal Education Loan (FFEL) program loans or Perkins Loans that are owned by the college or university you attended. You can contact your federal loan serviceronline or by phone to find out if your loans are eligible. If you’re unsure of the types of student loans you have, you can check your free credit report to see the private and federal student loans in your name.
- If your federal loans are covered, the U.S. Department of Education has automatically placed your loans into “administrative forbearance”, meaning you can stop making payments on those loans, up through December 31, 2020. If your payments get automatically drafted from a bank account, check if any payments have been processed since March 13, 2020. If they have, you may be able to get a refund.
- You can keep making payments on your qualifying federal student loan through the administrative forbearance period, the interest rate is now 0%. This may help you pay off your debt faster. If you’re on an income-based repayment program and/or a forgiveness program, you should check out Federal Student Aid’s Coronavirus page to see which option makes sense for you.
- The U.S. Department of Education has stopped making collection calls and sending letters or billing statements to borrowers in default on their loans through the end of the year. If your federal loans were in default and your employer continues to garnish your wages, you also may be able to get a refund.
Understanding these assistance options can help you make more informed decisions about paying your bills and prioritizing your debts. You don’t need to hire a company to help you get this student loan payment relief. The program is already in place and there’s nothing you need to do to enroll.
1 – Lazarus, Ari. “If you have federal student loans, read this” Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information. Federal Trade Commission, 17 September 2020
Reward Yourself! You Earned It
Did you know you earn 1 point for every $1 spent each time you use your AFFCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card?
You can redeem your reward points and choose from thousands of great prizes. When you use your AFFCU Visa® Platinum Credit Card each time at checkout, you’re racking up points, and keeping your finances safe with the added protection of our free Verified by Visa fraud protection and zero liability protection in case of fraud.
Plus, there is no need to sign up for rewards points, they accumulate automatically. And points don’t expire for five years! Visit CURewards.com to view your point balance and shop the catalog of merchandise.